Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward

Powcher’s Hall, Ely

History of Powcher's Hall

Listed Building

The building at the north west end of Infirmary Lane was originally the Blood Letting House, built in the early C14 to accommodate the monks who underwent the Ely practice of blood letting once every six weeks. In 1416, it is recorded, Prior Powcher caused to be built, almost anew, the hall in the Infirmary for those who had been bled. A third storey, which is timber-framed, was added in the early C16.

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

Romano-British Settlement, Chittering

Holme Hurst, 20 & 20a, Post Street, Godmanchester

Rectory Farmhouse, Great Shelford

Minster Hotel and Cafe, Lloyds Bank, Minster Place, Ely

Snell’s Nursery, Jubilee Gardens, Broad Street, Ely

36, 36a, 38 St Mary’s Road, 2 Downham Road, Ely

Bedford House, Girls Secondary School, 28 St Mary’s Street, Ely

62 & 64 Quayside, Ely

40 Fore Hill, Ely

Palace Green Cottage, 27 St Mary’s Street, Ely

39 Back Hill, Ely

21a, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31 High Street, Ely

Old Needhams School (Cambridgeshire & isle of Ely County Council Teacher’s Centre)