70 Bridge Street, Lindum House, the Flying Stag
History of 70 Bridge Street
Pevsner notes 18th cent..
1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge: in the main an early 19th cent. building incorporating part of an 18th cent. structure on the S. The house was formerly the ‘ Freemasons’ Tavern; within living memory the name and ‘Livery Baiting Stables’ was painted on the passage to it from Bridge Street.
The British Listed Buildings website notes:
Entrance archway to No 70 has with a good early C19 Gothic door. In the yard behind, No 70 (The Flying Stag), a former public house, 1842, brick, incorporating a timber framed C17 cell and C18 fragments. 3 storey and 2 storey and attic ranges, sashes with glazing bars. Tiled roof on early lower build.
Loggan 1688 map of central Cambridge
George Edmund Lister, 69, choir school master St. John’s College, b Lincs
Susanna Elizabeth, 71, wife, b Surrey
Ada Elizabeth Sutton, 32, servant, b Cambs
Sam Senior BA, S John’s College choir schoolmaster
Rev Sam Senior