Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Ely
  • Back Forward

Prior’s House, Ely

History of Prior's House

Listed Building

The Prior’s House, now a boarding house of the King’s School was largely rebuilt in the early C14 by Prior Crauden (1321-41), above the C12 vaulted undercroft with groined vaults and transverse arches in the northern part and C14 vaults to the south part. … The interior has Norman and medieval features including a particularly fine early C14 fireplace on the north west side of the Hall (once in Prior Crauden’s study), with a sloping overmantel, castellated frieze and corner turrets, carried on carved corbels with heads.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • medieval

Projects

  • Ely

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Ely

84 High Street, Swaffham Prior

The Burystead, Wilburton

Homestead, High Street, Great Eversden

Ely Scrapbook

5 Ship Lane, Ely

St Peter, Broad Street, Ely

Gardiner’s, 3 High Street, Ely

2, The Gallery, Ely

21 Lynn Road, Ely

4 Chapel Street, Ely

Paradise Farm, Ely

Old Fire Engine House, 25, St Mary’s Street, Ely

57 Silver Street, Ely