Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • East Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Littleport
  • Back Forward
A carved wooden village sign in Littleport, featuring a blue beacon at the top and panels depicting historical scenes.

Littleport Village Sign (RGL2025)

Littleport Data

Littleport Data

Littleport traditions recorded in ‘Fenland Past to Present’ in April 1991:

Men would declare their love by making two brooches, each from three ears of corn and strands of straw, He would wear one on the right-hand side of his chest at church; the second he would present without speaking to his intended. She would take the brooch home and discuss the matter with her parents. The next Sunday if she wore the brooch on the right side the man was rejected; he she wore it on the left over her heart, he was accepted.

Babies born in Littleport on March 21, May 1 or September 23 were supposed to be blessed and able to see into the future. Births would be dealyed or speeded up to ensure delivery on the right day. Births were encouraged by drinking a mixture of horehound, rue, gin and poppy juice. Unmarried girls were made to eat tansy leaves to bring on miscarriages.

In the 19th century Granny Grey would give unmarried girls a ‘Littleport Pill’ made from hemlock, pennyroyal and rue, and encourage chewing of cannabis leaves to bring about miscarriages.

Littleport 65-68 (23)


A hand-drawn sketch of an arched door head on lined paper with handwritten architectural measurements and notes.

Fisher’s Cottage, Littleport (MoC19/57)

Hand-drawn architectural ground plan on lined paper, with handwritten notes labeling stone walls, a doorway, and floor.

Fisher’s Cottage, Littleport (MoC21/57)


Witchcraft in Littleport:

Typewritten document detailing the 1639 deposition of John Dashfield concerning accusations of witchcraft against Ann Greene.

Case of Anne Green pt1 ©MoC

A typewritten historical document containing witness statements from 1639 regarding allegations of witchcraft in Littleport.

Case of Anne Green pt2 ©MoC

Typed document detailing 17th-century witness testimonies regarding the alleged witchcraft of Ann Green of Littleport.

Case of Anne Green pt3 ©MoC

A typewritten document containing paragraphs of historical text detailing statements about church seats and local households.

Case of Anne Green pt4 ©MoC


Handwritten red ink on paper reads Littleport, Informations of Witchcraft, 1639, with F. 10. Univ. Library to the right.

Case of Anne Green 1

A typewritten document recording statements from 1639 regarding accusations of witchcraft against Ann Symes in Littleport.

Case of Anne Green 2

A typewritten document describing the case of Ann Greene with archaic spelling and references to witchcraft in Littleport.

Case of Anne Green 3

A printed transcription of two historical documents dated 1639 regarding accusations of witchcraft against Ann Symes.

Case of Anne Green 4

A black-and-white scan of a historical document containing two separate paragraphs of typewritten text in archaic English.

Case of Anne Green 5

A document containing a typed transcription of an historical legal deposition regarding an accusation of witchcraft.

Case of Anne Green 6

Typed document detailing historical witness accounts in Littleport, including testimonies from Gabriell Thompson and Ann Veeres.

Case of Anne Green 7

Typewritten document containing historical transcriptions of examinations and depositions signed Agnes A. Greene at the bottom.


A dense crowd of people, many wearing hats, gather outdoors in a faded, sepia-toned image with a soft, hazy focus.

Wedding in Littleport circa 1907 photo by D R Spencely


Mike Petty’s Scrapbook:

https://archive.org/details/LittleportScrapbook18971990

Tags

  • superstition
  • traditional remedies
  • witchcraft

Projects

  • Littleport

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Littleport

St Mary’s, Swaffham Bulbeck

St Mary, Sawston

West End / Main Street, Whittlesford

8 Globe Lane, Littleport

Salvation Army Citadel, City Road, Littleport

Main Street, Littleport

2 Granby Street, Littleport

The Crown, Littleport

13 Wellington Street, Littleport

14b Station Road, Littleport

Fisher’s Cottages, City Road, Littleport

58 Victoria Street, Littleport

70 – 72 Victoria Street, Littleport