Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Hills Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Hills Road
  • Back Forward
A tinted postcard view of a red brick Gothic-style church on a street corner, with a tall steeple and leafy trees nearby.

Hills Road Wesleyan Chapel

Hills Road Wesleyan Chapel

History of Wesleyan Chapel Hills Road

In 1865 land belonging to ‘The Master Fellows and Scholars of the College or Hall of the Holy Trinity in the University of Cambridge … situated in the Parish of St Andrew the Less,’ was let on a 99 year lease to Robert Sayles and he suggested this might be the site for a new Methodist chapel.

In 1866 the Trustees decided to build a temporary wooden chapel which they did at a cost of £200. Seats were to be sold:

‘a few seats free; some at one shilling and some at one shilling and sixpence per quarter’ … while …’the amount to be paid for the higher-priced seats should be according to what the special sub-committee appointed for tat purpose decided that the application could pay or what they could get.’


1871 11th may opening and dedication of the new chapel. The ornamental stonework was intended to convey a meaning. (See The History of Methodism in Cambridge by Frank Tice, 1966)

A piece of ground in Norwich Street, opposite the chapel, had been acquired for a ‘Preacher’s House.’ In 1874 building started, the cost being £650, which sum was borrowed from the Star Life Assurance office. The house was designated no.92 Norwich Street but at some time between 1901 and 1904 the street was re-numbered and became known as no.1. It appeared on the Circuit Plan as a minister’s residence in 1875; the last time in 1881. After that the house was let and in 1891 it was sold.


Black and white postcard showing a stone Gothic church with a tall slender spire and arched windows on a street corner.

Hills Road Wesleyan Chapel

1913

Hills Road Wesleyan Chapel, Rev James Lewis, resident minister

1928

A gothic stone church with two spires stands beside a street featuring a vintage delivery van and a pedestrian with a cart.

Hills Road Methodist Church in 1928 (Cambs Collection)

1973

The church was demolished

Hills Road Wesleyan Chapel is mentioned several times in this article:

http://www.trumpingtonlocalhistorygroup.org/subjects/subjects_wesleyanmethodists/

A tinted postcard view of a red brick Gothic-style church on a street corner, with a tall steeple and leafy trees nearby.Modern office buildings and a red telephone box line a road with a red cycle lane, leading toward a church spire in the distance.

Tags

  • methodism
  • Then and Now

Projects

  • Hills Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hills Road

24 Petty Cury, Cambridge

Methodist Church, High Street, Haddenham

5 Market Hill

8 Hills Road (5)

125 Hills Road, P Beales and Co. Coal Wharf

3 Cambridge Place

documents

6 Hills Road (4)

86 Cambridge Place

37 Hills Road

53 Hills Road

4 Hills Road (3)

79 Hills Road, (11 Eastbourne Terrace)

50 Hills Road (26)(24)