Search by topic
Search by text
Hyde Park Corner / Dawe’s Cross
History of Hyde Park Corner
Map of Cambridge ‘Outside Barnwell gate’ 14th cent.
It was at this point, the junction of the medieval King’s Lane (Gonville Place), Deepway (Lensfield Road) and Hadstock Way (Hills Road) that Dawe’s Cross was situated.
Dawe’s Cross was often mentioned in ancient deeds and representations of it exist in old Field Books from Peterhouse and St Andrew the Great.
Hyde Park Corner was the nick name for the junction of Hills Road and Regent Street outside the Catholic Church. It was the intersection of the two horse drawn tram lines that operated from 1880 to 1914 run by Cambridge Street Tramways.