Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Perse School front

Perse Grammar School for Boys, Hills Road

History Perse Grammar School for Boys, Hills Road

A detailed history of the school can be found here:

Rooted in History

………………………………………………………………………….

1913:

W H D Rouse headmaster

Perse School The Mummery

The Perse School School House Hall

The Perse School School House Library

The Perse School School House A Study

Perse High School

16/1/1941: East Anglian town’s miniature fire blitz. Famous public school [Perse] damaged. Perse school treasures saved after fire destroyed library and classrooms. The shields which hung around the walls, the War Memorial and the portrait of Dr Rouse survived (Cam Press)

On the night of 16th January 1941 250 incendiary bombs were dropped in a close pattern centred on Hyde Park Corner. Some of the bombs slithered down the southern roof of the Catholic church but did not cause a fire. The main damage happened to the hall of the Perse School opposite and Flinders’ electrical store at 91 Regent Street. The fire took hold of the school hall and the fire brigade found the blaze impossible to extinguish. (‘Catholics in Cambridge’, ed Rogers p185)

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.