Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
1 & 2 St Paul's Road

1 St Paul’s Road

History of 1 St Paul's Road

1913:

John Morley, architect

John Morley was a local architect who had established his practice, a partnership with a Mr Robb, in St Andrews Street in 1873. He went on to acquire the leases of all but five of the 16 plots laid out around the Harvey and St Paul’s Roads and in this way followed the tradition of the speculative architect common in the Victorian building world.

In 1884 Morley had left Cambridge to travel in Europe. He returned in 1900 to continue his practice and in 1901 designed the Police and Fire Station in St Andrews Street.

(The Caius College Building Estate in Barnwell – Jeremy Lander)

1962:

(1) Mrs P W Wood

(1a) Sydney William Grose

(1c) Thomas Kellaway

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.