Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

11,12,13, St Paul’s Road, Elie Almshouses

History of the Elie Almshouses

In 1865 the Elie Almshouses were built on a small plot of land next to the parsonage, consisting of three dwellings for poor women.

For more information about the development of the area see St Paul’s Church and Cambridge Place.

In 1538 Richard Elie, a Cambridge Freemason, gave an endowment for the maintenance of three almsfolk consisting of three almshouses in Trinity Lane and lands in Chesterton and Barton to keep them in repair. In 1863 the almshouses were sold to Trinity College and the money used to build the new ones in St Paul’s Road. They were designed by George Gilbert Scott, almost certainly the junior of the two who had worked in his father’s office before coming up to Jesus College in 1863. (The Caius College Building Estate in Barnwell – Jeremy Lander)

1913:

(3) Miss Lucy Williamson

(2) Miss Hatcarton

(1) Mrs Wilson

1962:

(11) Mrs N Seager

(12) Miss L J Barber

(13) Mrs A Hones

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.