Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Huntingdon­shire
  • /
  • Hemingford Abbots
  • Back Forward
A long, white thatched cottage with black shutters and floral hanging baskets, seen from a paved road in Hemingford Abbots.

Medlands, Common Lane, Hemingford Abbots (RGL2025)

Medlands, 44 Common Lane, Old Boot and Slipper, Hemingford Abbots

History of Medlands

Listed Building

C16 cottage.

C16 timber-framed barn of three bays.

A wooden sign reading Boot & Slipper Cottage hangs under a thatched porch above a wooden front door with the number 44.

Hemingford Abbots, Boot & Slipper Cottage


Ink drawing of a man with a mustache wearing a hat and coat, holding a pipe, with text reading Master Glazier Tewkesbury.

A E Tombleson, Hemingford Abbots

1910 bought by Alfred Edward Tombleson, an artist and stained glass maker, who worked for the stained glass firm of Charles Eamer Kempe.

YP emailed in 2026: Tombleson was born in Houghton in 1851, he worked for F.R Leach in Cambridge before becoming the manager of Kempe’s glassworks in London in 1890.  When he bought the house it was called the Old Boot and Slipper public house and is now a private house that has since returned to this original name. before WW1 artists from the Kempe studio would stay at the house for their annual sketching camp. 

A stained glass quatrefoil window features a central shield displaying the letters A, T, and E in black against a gold ground.

Little St Mary’s Cambridge, A E Tombleson monogram

There are a number of windows in Cambridge that Tombleson would have made.  The East (designer John Carter) and West (designer John Lisle) windows in Little St Mary’s church were all designed and made at the studios of Charles Eamer Kempe in London.  Kempe would include his own coat of arms in these windows,  but in these two windows you can also find the monogram of Alfred Tombleson, who would have made and installed the windows.  There are only 70 Tombleson monograms in the country, two are here, one more in Queens’ College chapel.

Tags

  • Listed building
  • Public House
  • tudor

Projects

  • Hemingford Abbots

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Hemingford Abbots

Smithy, Thriplow

30 Park Street

Emmanuel College Hostel / North Court

Hemingfords Scrapbook

Rosemary & Janalyn, High Street, Hemingford Abbots

West End Cottage, 26 Common Lane, Hemingford Abbots

Abbots End, High Street, Hemingford Abbots

Wheatsheaf Cottage, The Wheatsheaf, High Street, Hemingford Abbots

Axe and Compass, High Street, Hemingford Abbotts

7 – 12 High Street, Hemingford Abbots

The White Cottage, Royal Oak Lane, Hemingford Abbots

Jennifer, High Street, Hemingford Abbots

Lodge, Rideaway, Hemingford Abbots