The building on the right, a residential property dating back to the 15th century, was formerly an inn called the George and Dragon.
The thatched Memorial Shelter and Clock Tower was built in 1902, erected in memory of G W Brown by Mr Whymper, builder G. Page of Buckden. Clock made by J. R. Ingram, St Ives.
G.W. Brown was George Brown, the son of the miller, Potto Brown. Mr Whymper was Charles Whymper, resident of Houghton; he was an artist and the brother of Edward Whymper, the first man to climb the Matterhorn. (research by David Gent)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.