Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Mill Road Area Cambridge
  • /
  • Mill Road
  • Back Forward
A semi-detached brown brick house with bay windows, a slate roof, and red and blue front doors on a street with rental bikes.

254 Mill Road

254 Mill Road, Cambridge

History of 254 Mill Road

5 July 1940

Golden Wedding. — “Given good health, we could live it all over again.” Thus said Mr. and Mrs. A. G. Gilbert, of 254 Mill Road, Cambridge, reviewing their married life on their golden wedding day. They were married at Christ Church on July 1, 1890, and in 1892 opened a grocer’s business in Kingston Street. At the same time, Mr. Gilbert was bacon store manager for Messrs. Hallack and Bond. It was here, in 1904, that he fell down a lift shaft and was unconscious for three days. It may be added that Mr. Gilbert is a non-drinker and non-smoker. He retired from business in 1937. Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert have two daughters and a son, and speak proudly of their four granddaughters. Mr. Gilbert is 74 and his wife 70, but both look at least ten years younger. In this respect it is interesting to note that Mrs. Gilbert made her own cake for the celebration supper.

Credit: Mike Petty Archive.


1962

John Pickering

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Projects

  • Mill Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Mill Road

161 Mill Road

394 Mill Road

191 Mill Road

78 Mill Road, Cambridge

Hinton Cross

67 Mill Road (25) (6 Pulling Terrace)

235 Mill Road

55 Mill Road (13) (12 Pulling Terrace)

298 Mill Road

87 (44) (46) Mill Road