Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
A jagged piece of dark metal with an attached tag featuring handwritten notes sits on crumpled white paper.

Shrapnel from 167 Gwydir Street (MoC20089A))

167, Bahia Cottage, Gwydir Street

History of Bahia Cottage

1881

William Christmas, head, 38, journeyman baker, b Willingham

Mary A, wife, 41, b Cambridge

William, son, 14, b Cambridge

Florence, daughter, 12, scholar, b Cambridge

Alfred, son, 7, scholar, b Cambridge

Frederick, son, 4, scholar, b Cambridge

In 1871, the Christmas family were living at 19 City Road. William and Mary A had married in 1865.

In 2023 DGH sent a note re. Maryann Christmas née Leader. Her mother was born Maryann Hockley and her uncle, Ephraim Hockley, brother was deported to New South Wales from Grantchester.


1891

Henry Mason, head, 84, retired Inland Revenue Excise officer, b Reach

Elizabeth Wright, housekeeper, 68, b Norfolk


1901

John Kent, 47, slater

Marianne, 48

Henry C, slater

Herbert E, hair dresser’s assistant

Ruth E, dressmaker’s assistant

Elizabeth H, milliner’s apprentice

William

Albert J


1911

John Kent, 56, slater tiler, b Herts

Mary Anne, 57, b Herts

Henry Charles, 32, slater and tiler, b Herts

Herbert Edward, 30, hairdresser, b Herts

Ruth Emma, 28, dressmaker, b Cambridge

Elizabeth Harriet, 26, milliner, b Cambridge

William, 21, slater and tiler, b Cambridge

Albert James, 20, tailor, b Cambridge


1913 Bahia Cottage

John Kent and Sons, slaters and tilers

Miss Kent, dressmaker

William Kent

A rectangular metal plaque with the embossed text MISS KENT DRESSMAKER rests on a dark wood surface with screw holes at corners.

Miss Kent Dressmaker sign – found in the garden.


1916

Albert James Kent, Private 26051, 9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Killed in action 3 September 1916. Born and enlisted Cambridge. Formerly 26295, Bedfordshire Regiment. Birth registered in the April to June Quarter 1891 in the Cambridge Registration District. In the 1891 census he was the son of John and Mary A Kent, under the age of 1, born Cambridge, resident Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1901 census he was the son of John and Marianne Kent, aged 10, born Cambridgeshire, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. In the 1911 census he was the son of John and Mary Anne Kent, aged 20, born Cambridge, a Tailor by trade, resident with his parents at 167 Gwydir Street, Cambridge. No known grave. Commemorated on THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France. Pier and Face 11 A.


1930s

John Kent, slater and tiler, who built 165 Gwydir Street on his retirement.


Herbert Finbow, son of William Robert Finbow who started his business at 52 Gwydir Street


1941 30th January

The bomb fragment was found in the garden of 167 Gwydir Street when the German airforce bombed Cambridge Railway Station in the early 1940s and houses were wrecked at Mill Road bridge.

See 130 Mill Road for details of this event.


1962 – 1970

William A Longhurst

Tags

  • bombing
  • dressmaker
  • tailor
  • world war one
  • world war two

Projects

  • Gwydir Street
  • Museum Exhibit Stories

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

423 Newmarket Road

8 Bentinck Street

23 Queen Edith’s Way, The Sun House, Cambridge

32 / 30 Gwydir Street

154 Gwydir Street, Falmouth House, Holmlea, Belmont House

128 Gwydir Street

85 – 87 Gwydir Street, The Dewdrop Inn, The Cambridge Blue

29 Gwydir Street

96 Gwydir Street

Memories – Gwydir Street

171 Gwydir Street

video

Sam & Pat – Gwydir Street

17 Gwydir Street