Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
A black and white drawing of a multi-gabled, three-storey building with a bay window and a prominent sign near the entrance.

Ye Olde Castle Hotel 38 St Andrew’s Street (MoC308.63)

38 St Andrew’s Street, Castel, Ye Olde Castle Hotel, The Castle Inn, Rudd’s Hostel

History of 38 St Andrew's Street

Outside the Barnwell Gate (1915) states that this is the site of a building which in 1283 was given by Hugh de Balsham, Bishop of Ely, to St John’s Hospital as part of the compensation for the loss suffered by the removal of his scholars to the newly-founded Peterhouse. In the foundation deed of Peterhouse the tenement is described as “hospicium contra fratres predicatores.” Elsewhere it has been described as ‘established before 1243, and was reconstructed c.1620.’

Line drawing map of 14th-century Cambridge showing streets, King's Ditch, Barnwell Gate, monasteries, and various hostels.

14th century Cambridge map

Richard Hopkins Leach painted the castle sign circa 1830s. There is a keep with four turrets looking over the sea. He had seen many coastal fortification when he had visited the south west of England. But the gate is very reminiscent of the entrance to Christ’s College.

A dark, aged painting on wood panel shows a gothic-style castle with corner towers, arched gates, and three guards in red.

Castle Hotel pub sign by Richard Hopkins Leach ©Museum of Cambridge

Watercolor painting of a street featuring old timber-framed buildings and a church tower, with a horse and cart in the foreground.

Castle St Andrew’s Street

Caius in his history of Cambridge, writing 300 years later, calls the building ‘Rudd’s Hostel’ and says it stood a little beyond the church of the Friars Preachers but on the other side of the street. Richard Parker, writing in 1622, says that ‘it is now become the Castle Inn’.  In 1915 it was the property of Corpus Christi College.

Vintage postcard showing Ye Olde Castel Hotel with a woman cycling in front and text advertisements on the right side.

Ye Olde Castel Hotel

A framed watercolour drawing of a gabled, light-coloured building with multiple chimneys, surrounded by a low metal fence.

The Old Castle

Black and white print showing a Tudor-style building with gables and a central archway, flanked by printed promotional text.

Castle Hotel St Andrew’s Street

According to ‘Fenner’s Men’ by Willie Sugg, the Union was one of the earliest Cambridge pub clubs dating from around 1820 . Being within easy reach of Midsummer Common it was sometimes known as the “Common Club” to distinguish it from its competitors who played on Parker’s Piece. The Union, Fountain and Castle [clubs] played relatively low key matches between themselves. As the Cambridge Cricket  Club folded, they became the crucial factor in maintaining and rebuilding the town’s cricketing structure.

This was the last of the pub cricket clubs to fold, in 1837, after an innings defeat of March.


A black and white printed clipping showing an angled view of the multi-gabled, white-walled Ye Olde Castel Hotel building.

Castle Hotel c.1890 (MoC133/51)(J Palmer Clarke)

A black-and-white street scene shows pedestrians walking past traditional shop fronts and a vintage car on St Andrew's Street.

Castle Hotel, St Andrew’s Street, post 1908


1913

Ye Olde Castle Hotel, James Hammond proprietor

Headquarters of the Vincent Ramblers Cycling Club, Cambridge Town Football Club, Cambs Cricket Assoc, 99 Rowing Club, Cambridge Butchers’ Association and Cambridge Horse Club

Albert Percy Hammond

William Walden Hammond

A sepia-toned street view of St Andrew's Street showing timber-framed buildings with gables, a picket fence, and distant figures.

Castle Hotel, St Andrew’s Street

Two historic timber-framed buildings with gabled roofs and bay windows stand on a street, with three men standing outside.

Ye Old Castel Hotel St Andrew’s Street c1920s


1934

Thick smoke rises behind a row of shops on St Andrew's Street, with pedestrians watching from the pavement in the foreground.

Fire at Ye Olde Castel Hotel, 15.8.1934 (Cambridgeshire Collection)

The hotel was seriously damaged by fire and not rebuilt.

Newspaper clipping showing the demolition of a building, with scaffolding, steel beams, and figures working on the roof.

Ye Olde Castel Hotel, 1936 (MoC528.55)

Newspaper clipping with five photographs documenting a 1934 fire at the Castel Hotel, showing firefighters and bystanders.

Castel [Castle] Hotel Fire, 1934

…………

1937 Regal Cinema built on the site


1962

Castle Public House

Sidney G Bateman


2018 (37)

Castle Bar


 

A black and white drawing of a multi-gabled, three-storey building with a bay window and a prominent sign near the entrance.A street view of St Andrew's Street, showing a pale blue cinema facade next to a brick building housing The Castle Bar.

 

Tags

  • Building of Local Interest
  • cricket
  • Hotel
  • Then and Now

Projects

  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • St Andrew's Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

7 Mill Road, Waverley House

documents

6 – 7 Bridge Street

Cambridge City Cemetery, Newmarket Road

48 Blinco Grove

20 Newmarket Road, Christ Church Villas

164 (72) Newmarket Road, Brown’s Yard

What’s in a toilet? – The Volcania washdown-closet

Cross Keys Yard, Magdalene Street, Cambridge

documents

2 Castle Street (100), White Horse Inn, Folk Museum, Museum of Cambridge

Barnwell Abbey Schools, 31 River Lane

Honey Hill, Cambridge

13 Richmond Road

The George / The George and Dragon / La Mimosa, Richmond Terrace