Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
A white, two-storey building with a tiled roof, dormer windows, and a shop entrance next to an open carriage gateway.

40-41 Trumpington Street Cambridge

40 Trumpington Street, Hopkins and Co Livery Stable, Crown and Compasses, The Compasses

History of 40 Trumpington Street

1842

Nutter and Elliston, brewers, went bankrupt. 33 pubs owned by the brewery were sold off.

1884 Crown and Compasses

Rebecca Watson, landlady

1913

William Turrell, clerk

Hopkins and Co Livery Stable

Watercolor drawing of a stable yard with a large overhanging roof, showing a horse and two men standing near doorways.

Hopkins Livery Stable, Trumpington Street by Mary Greene

1962

Albert Mason

Tags

  • art
  • Public House

Projects

  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Trumpington Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

1 – 4 (Black Bear), Wheeler Street (Short Butcher Row)

49/50 Cambridge Place

143 – 145 Cherry Hinton High Street, The Five Bells

2 Christ’s Lane

Dullingham Data

documents

9 King’s Parade, (Trumpington Street),The Still and Sugar Loaf

The Man Loaded with Mischief, 34 Madingley Road

Old Post Office / Government Offices, Petty Cury

108 / 110, Swiss House, Swiss Cottage, Mill Road

The Diaries of Josiah Chater

Bailey and Tebbutt’s warehouse, Russell Street

Manor Court, Grange Road

Great Staughton Data