Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Museum of Cambridge
  • /
  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • Back Forward
The stone gatehouse of Christ’s College overlooks a busy street with a vintage car, a cyclist, and pedestrians on the pavement.

Christ’s College Gate circa 1926/7 (Cambs Collection)

Christ’s College, Cambridge

History of Christ's College

General historical information about the college can be found on Wikipedia.


1838

A detailed ink drawing looking through a stone archway at a garden pool surrounded by trees, an ornamental urn, and busts.

The Bath Christ’s College 1838

The Bathing Pool is in the Fellows’ garden. It dates from the mid 17th century and is thought to be the oldest outdoor pool in England. It was originally fed from Hobson’s Conduit built in the early 17th century. In 2010 it was renamed the Malcolm Bowie Bathing Pool.


A stone carving above an archway features two white heraldic beasts supporting a central shield surrounded by red roses.

Christ’s College arms on gate

F A Reeve, The Cambridge Nobody Knows, (1977), writes about the ‘yale’, the mythical animal resembling antelopes with faces like goats. These animals are also on the gateway of St John’s college.


New Court is a Building of Local Interest.

A black and white view of a large, four-story stone building with a flat roof, many rectangular windows, and two large bays.

Chancellor Building was built in 1950 by Rattee and Kett and named in memory of Marshal Jan Smuts who was at one time Chancellor of the University.

A particular feature of the college is the Charles Darwin Sculpture Garden. A description can be found here:

https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/grounds/darwin-garden


Interior of a wood-panelled room featuring a central table, an ornate fireplace with decorative plates, and a grandfather clock.

Charles Darwin’s room, Christ’s College, photo by J Palmer Clarke (MoC66274)


1861

Following list of members and undergraduates of the college,

William Lofts, college servant, porter of college, b Cambridge

Emma, 31, b Cambridge

Ellen, 5, b Cambridge

William Hunt, 23, master’s butler, b Cambridge

Amelia Settle, 38, master’s cook, b York

Ann Conder, 19, master’s housemaid, b Barrington

Joseph Humm, 34, under porter of college,  b Suffolk

William Lofts was killed by a stone thrown in a riot in 1868.


24 July 1908
A great deal of excitement was caused by a fire at Christ’s College. Bert Holder, a butcher, noticed smoke issuing from the scullery and engine room window in Christ’s Lane where the ceiling, which is of matchboarding, was well alight. Pc Fred Savidge and the head porter, Mr Chapman, fitted the college fire appliance to a hydrant and commenced to play on the flames, which were soon extinguished owing to the prompt action of the fire brigade and police force.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge CHRIST’S LANE Scrapbook, reference CWN 08 07 24.


1918

Alfred Ponsford Baker, a graduate of Christ’s, published ‘A College Mystery’ a novel set at the college which told the story of the ghost of Christopher Round.  Although a work of fiction, many have believed it to be a true story.


Impressionistic painting showing a red brick arched gatehouse with a tall, thin tower in the background and a figure walking.

Christ’s College Gate, Mary C Greene (MoC)


1930s – 1950s

This was the home of the 10th Cambridge Christ’s College Scouts

 

 

Tags

  • Boy Scouts
  • Building of Local Interest
  • college
  • ghost
  • Listed building
  • Rattee & Kett
  • Scouting

Projects

  • Museum Exhibit Stories
  • St Andrew's Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Museum Exhibit Stories

The Windmill, Mill Lane, Little Wilbraham

Gorse Cottage, High Street, Little Eversden

Marshalls Cambridge Airport, RAF Cambridge (Teversham)

11 Little St Mary’s Lane, Banks Court

The Johnny Gilpin, 17 Gold Street, Cambridge

documents

Mary Greene – The Joy of Remembering

10 Duke Street, London Bridge, London

84 St Philip’s Road, Cambridge

Thriplow Heath, Newmarket Road, Thriplow

17 James Street, Cambridge

documents

2 Castle Street (100), White Horse Inn, Folk Museum, Museum of Cambridge

Foster’s Boat Houses

8, 9, 10, 11 Sidney Street