Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

5 (2) Fitzwilliam Road, Cottage Home for Little Orphan Girls

History of Cottage Home

Members of St John’s College Cambridge first suggested the establishment of a home for destitute girls and in December 1870 a committee advertised the proposal to the town by distributing handbills. A site in Fitzwilliam Road was purchased in April 1871 for £240 and the Cottage Home was built for £475. The first four girls were admitted on 1 January 1872. Spalding’s and Kelly’s Cambridge Street Directories describe it as the Cottage Home until 1948, when until 1951 it is attributed to the Church of England Children’s Society, thereafter as Dr Barnado’s Cottage Home. Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely County Council purchased it for a boys’ hostel in 1972)

…………

1913:

Cottage Home for Little Orphan Girls

Miss Rickett, matron

……………

1962:

Dr Barnardo’s Cottage Home

……………

For more information see:

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/CambridgeCottageDB/?LMCL=EqKm8q

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.