Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
B & T, Panton Brewery

43 (17a) Panton Street, Panton Arms, brewery

History of 43 Panton Street

Panton Arms

1869: brewery founded by Charles Lloyd Davis after he left the Earl Street brewery in 1869.

1881:

James Cross, publican, 50, b Hunts
Emma, 33, b Hunts
Phillis L, 8, b Cambridge
Emily Wairing, servant, 17, b Notts

……….

1887: brewery sold to Barnet William Beales. Beales had been born at 42 Sidney Street. he became a well known Cambridge businessman.

……….

1892: Albert Edward Beales (Kellys)

………

1897: Following a serious injury, Barnet sold brewery to Bailey and Tebbutt. Harold Barber Bailey was the son of Frederick Bailey of the Star Brewery.

……….

1901: (17a)

John Clark, 47, publican coachman, b Cambridge

Ellen E, 46, b Kent

Percy Clark, 18, college servant, b Cambridge

Hilda M, 12, b Cambridge

Tom, 10,  b Cambridge

Denys, 8, b Cambridge

Daisy, 14, servant,  b Cambridge

………..

1904: Sydney E Clarke (Kellys)

Panton Brewery c 1910

……..

1906-7: major expansion when site of newtown Hall was acquired. There were three boreholes of 155′-200′ to the Lower Greensand.

………

1911: Panton Tap

Charles Oliver Orders

…………

1913:

Henry J Whitby

Panton Brewery

……….

1918: private company registered, Bailey and Tebbutt Ltd

………..

1925:

brewery taken over by Green King

……..

In 1933 Edward Fitzgerald was taken on as deputy manager of the Greene King brewery in Panton Street. The family moved from Suffolk and his son Desmond recalled in 2019 visiting as a boy and seeing that a ‘tea break’ was actually a ‘glass of beer’ break! It was a small brewery and his father stayed there until his retirement after 60 years working for Greene King.

……..

1957: brewing stopped

………..

1962:

Leslie T Ambrose

……….

1968:

Brewery demolished

……….

 

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.