Search by topic
Search by text
Houghton Hall / St Alban’s Catholic Primary School
History of St Alban's School site, Union Road
The Catholic Men’s Club had petered out in the 1870s owing to lack of financial support, but when Canon Scott attempted to revive the club in 1907 much greater success was achieved thanks to backing from Baron von Huegel and his active participation as first president. … By the end of the [WWI] war the opportunity arose to purchase a surplus hut from one of the military hospitals then being disbanded in Cambridge. Von Huegel generously paid the cost of the hut which was re-erected on part of the rectory garden (now the site of St Alban’s School) in the summer of 1920 and named the Houghton Hall after St John Houghton, the first martyr of the English Reformation. One section served as the men’s clubroom and the remained as a hall for the school and parish organizations.
The hall was removed in 1936 to make way for the new combined school, buildings and parish hall. The noted Catholic architect J Arnold Crush of Birmingham was commissioned to come up with plans for a new Parish Meeting Hall. The old prefabricated hall was re-erected in part to serve as St Laurence’s, High Street Chesterton. It was then reused to create St Vincent de Paul’s Chapel in Ditton Lane.
Jack Arthur Crush:
Born: Dec 1884 (Wandsworth)
Died: Jun 1936 (Birmingham)
Roman Catholic church architect based in Birmingham, at some time from Bank Chambers, 47 Temple Row
President of the Birmingham branch, National Union of Attested Married Men, formed to represent the interests of married men with regard to conscription in the First World War
Birmingham Daily Post 17 Apr 1916, p. 3