Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Bourn
  • Back Forward

Moulton Hills / Arms Hills, Bourn

History of the Roman barrows

Scheduled Monument

The Roman barrows at Bourn were excavated in 1908. They are ditched. Of the three barrows, one contained a variety of bronze objects and a coin of Marcus Aurelius (161-180 AD).

Details of a new excavation at this site was reported by CAS Volume XCV in 2006. the findings cast doubt on the earlier conclusion that these were Roman burial mounds. Findings suggest that these are medieval earthworks for the purposes of smelting iron.

Tags

  • archaeology
  • Listed building
  • medieval
  • Roman

Projects

  • Bourn

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Bourn

25 High Street, Burwell

Crosshall, Eaton Socon

Sunnyside, 135 & 137, Briar Cottage, 139, Cambridge Road, Wimpole

Home farm house, Greyhound, Riddy Lane, Bourn

Brook farmhouse, Bourn

Twiddy’s Cottage, Bourn

Hill House, Alms Hill, Bourn

The Old Vicarage, Bourn

Bourn Mill

Riddy House, Riddy Lane, Bourn

RAF Bourn

2 Short Street, Bourn

Rosemary and Lavender Cottage, Bourn