Search by topic
Search by text
28 - 32 High Street Cottenham
32 High Street, The Engineers Arms, Cottenham
History of the Engineers Arms
Cottage, mid C19. Local grey gault brick with some red brick to side walls. Slate roof, gabled, with saw tooth eaves cornice.
1860: opened by John Smith, the thrashing engineer. He remained until 1867 when he bought premises near the church, including the Prince of Wales.
Paul Gautrey was there for 3 years followed by John Bartingale.
1881: Engineers Arms Public House
Henry White, 35, labourer, b Landbeach
Eliza, 34, b Cottenham
John, 15, labourer, b Cottenham
Mary Ann, 9, b Cottenham
Herbert, 4, b Cottenham
1881: George Ward
1891: pub closed