Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

234 – 238 High Street Cottenham – 1676 fire

History of the Cottenham fire 1767

29th April 1676:

From Francis Garrett, Cottenham Ablaze:

A booklet in the Cambridge University Library call, ‘A sad relation of a dreadful fire at Cottenham’, written by an eyewitness describes this event that broke out at this location and spread along the High Street as far as the Fitzwilliam Cottage, just past the parish Church.

The fire was spread on both sides of the street by a strong wind as far as the church where the toff lead began to melt and flakes were carried as far as Ely.

In all 100 houses as well as farm buildings and stack-yards were destroyed, but there was only one serious injury. Many churches throughout the country record donations towards the appeal fund.

Tags

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.