Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Harston
  • Back Forward
A two-story building with boarded-up windows and a Vujon sign, surrounded by construction fencing at a road intersection.

Old English Gentleman, Harston

Old English Gentleman, Vujon, Harston

History of the Old English Gentleman

1839

Built on site of windmill that had burned down a few years previously. The road had been busy until the arrival of the railway in Cambridge. Coprolite works did open nearby for several years.

The origin of the name may have come about after the vicar praised the quality of the builders’ work. (See Harston History)


Applications for spirits licence were made several times in the 19th century but were refused.


1930

Owned by the Star Brewery. The landlord was Cyril E John Turner.


c.2000: Vujon restaurant


2024

The building was demolished and replaced with housing


Information from Ale, Camra newletter, August 2022.

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Harston

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Harston

The Fox, 2 North Street, Burwell

King’s Head, Gracious Street, Whittlesey

1 Ferry Path, The Old Spring, Chesterton

91 High Street, Park House Stables, Harston

7 Church Street, Harston

Sunbourn, Newton Hill, Harston

High Street, Harston

Village Hall, Harston

Old Vicarage, 67 Church Street, Harston

41 Church Street, Harston

Obelisk at Maggots Mound, Shelford Road, Harston

1 Church Street, The Old Bakehouse, Harston

56 High Street, Harston (Coach and Horses)