Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Linton
  • Back Forward
Two pale buildings with white weatherboard upper levels connected by a high-level pedestrian bridge over a narrow alleyway.

Mill, Linton

Linton Mill, Mill Lane, Linton

History of Linton Mill

Listed Building:

Watermill. Early C18, partly rebuilt and enlarged in C19 and 1903. Local brick and C19 brick painted, painted weather boarding to brick and timber- frame.

There has been a mill recorded on the site since c.1270. It was sold in 1908 to Linton Milling and Corn Co; it ceased working in c.1972. (Historic England)

W.M.Palmer wrote in 1913:

Although called Linton Mill, this was first built through an arrangement between the Bishop of Ely, who owned the manor of Hadstock, and the Lord of the Manor of Barham, in the first half of the thirteenth century, or earlier. The river was diverted to make the present dam….

Tags

  • Listed building
  • watermill

Projects

  • Linton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Linton

19 Trinity Street

Orchard House, King William IV, Bourn

Black Bull, 19 Waterside, Ely

95 High Street, The Bell Inn, Linton

38 High Street, Linton Literary Institute (Coffee House)

Linton Roman Villa

Little Linton Farmhouse, Cambridge Road

St Mary, Linton

12 Symonds Lane, Red Cottage, Linton

The Kyles, Long Lane, Linton

2 High Street, Linton

16 High Street, Queen’s House, Linton

Symonds House, 44 Symonds Lane