Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Little Shelford
  • Back Forward
Detailed 1885 Ordnance Survey map showing All Saints’ Church, its graveyard, and the surrounding buildings in Little Shelford.

Little Shelford OS 1885

Rectory, 33 Church Street, Little Shelford

History of Rectory

A large, multi-gabled yellow brick house with arched windows and stone detailing seen through leafless tree branches.

Rectory, Little Shelford (RGL2026)

Listed building:

Rectory built 1858 for Rev. James Edward Law. Gault brick with Ketton stone dressings.


1851 Rectory

Frederick Metcalfe, 27, curate of Little Shelford, b Fowlmere

Susan, mother, 66, b Ely

Elizabeth, sister, 34, b Fowlmere

Emily Chisholm, sister, widow, 30, b Fowlmere

Henrietta, sister, 34, b Fowlmere

Robert, brother, 25, b Fowlmere

Emily Chisholm, niece, 5, b Fowlmere

Pheobe Willson, 27, servant, b Duxford

Sarah Fuller, 18, servant, b Newton

In 1853 Frederick married Harriet Jane Kynaston, b c.1830.

in 1855 Henrietta married Henry Hurrell of Harston at Trumpington church. Henry Hurrell purchased Madingley Hall and lived there until his death in 1895.

The Rectory or Parsonage was demolished in 1859 after the Metcalfe family left Little Shelford and a new rectory built on the same site.

Watercolor drawing of a large stone house with gables and arched windows, surrounded by trees and a garden in the foreground.

New Rectory, Little Shelford,by Fanny Wale

This rectory was built by the Rev James Edmund Law and he moved into it from the Manor House in September 1859.

 

Tags

  • Listed building

Projects

  • Little Shelford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Little Shelford

Furness Lodge, Park Terrace

Causeway Farmhouse, Waterbeach

30 Glover Street, Over

documents

Shelfords data

Victory Hall, Church Street, Little Shelford

59 High Street, Little Shelford

14 Whittlesford Road, Little Shelford

71 High Street, Little Shelford

Prince Regent, Little Shelford

67 High Street, Little Shelford

Benoni, Ingleside, 4 Church Street, Little Shelford

The Plough Public House, 63 High Street, Little Shelford

Palavicini Dam, Little Shelford