Search by topic
Search by text
Cottage, Little Lane, Melbourn
2 – 4 Little Lane, Old Hall House, Melbourn
History of cottage, Little Lane
House. Late medieval, probably c.1500, extended by two bays to the north in C17 and again at the rear in C20. Timber-frame, exposed at first floor, with plaster rendered walls and long straw thatch roof with end stack, also timber framed, inserted in C17. The eight upper courses are of red brick with C19 grey brick to stack. Three bay plan and two bays to the north added C17. Small C20 extension at rear.
In 1842 the house was owned by Peterhouse College, Cambridge and let as two tenements to William Course and William Day.