Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Over
  • Back Forward

Round House Corner, Over

History of Round House Corner

E G Papworth in A Walk Around the Village of Over writes:

This was literally the hub of the old village and named after the Round House which was the constable’s “Lock-Up”, knocked down in 1882. It was known as Reuben’s Corner after Reuben Papworth’s tailor’s shop which faced the Green Pond. It was also the site of the cattle pound and later the Fire Engine house. In WWII there was an ARP post with a siren.

Tags

  • world war two

Projects

  • Over

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Over

General Headquarters line

88 (49) Norfolk Street

6 Rathmore Road, (1), Cambridge

Admiral Vernon, 31 High Street, Over

28 Hilton Street, Over

4 High Street, Over

56 High Street, Old Bakery, Over

28, Station Road, Over

48 Fen End, Over

13 & 15 West Street, Over

The Exhibition, 1 King Street (Duke of Cumberland Street), Over

20 & 22 West Street, Over

43 High Street, Over