Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Rampton
  • Back Forward
Two thatched cottages with white walls and brick gable ends stand beside an empty road under a pale, overcast sky.

Rampton, 1929 (MoC234/54) location unknown

Rampton data

Rampton data

In 1066 Rampton was divided amongst five sokemen of Ely abbey and Eddeva the Fair. But after the Conquest the whole estate was taken by Picot, sheriff of Cambridge. The parish became the manor of Rampton Isles. In 1086 the tenant at Rampton was Roger.


A street view showing white-walled, thatched-roof cottages lining the side of a road on a bright, overcast day.

Rampton, 1929 (MoC232/54) location unknown


A circular, four-paneled village sign shows painted relief carvings of village scenes above a scroll reading RAMPTON.

Rampton Village sign (RGL2025)


Mike Petty:

https://archive.org/details/RamptonScrapbook1897To1990

Projects

  • Rampton

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Rampton

14 Church End, Rampton

Giant’s Hill – motte castle, Rampton

1 & 2 The Green, Rampton

Village Water Pump, Rampton

High Street, Rampton

Manor farm, Manor House, ‘Chimneys’, Rampton

Free Church, Rampton

31 High Street, Rampton

The Chequers, Rampton

All Saints, Rampton