Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • South Cambridge­shire
  • /
  • Stapleford
  • Back Forward

The Rose, London Road, Stapleford

History of the Rose

A 1901 Ordnance Survey map showing land plots, buildings, roads, and trees in the area surrounding The Poplars.

1901 OS map

The Rose Public House in London Road dates in part from 1665, and the remainder from 1707 or earlier. It was probably licensed from at least 1728, and was called The Rainbow in 1740, but by 1764 had been renamed The Rose and Crown. It retained this name in legal records until 1897. (from Stapleford Online)

1891

William Moore, 46, publican, b Stapleford

Augusta, 44, b Little Shelford

Charles, 19, grocer, b Cambridge


1901

Arthur Andrews, 55, tavern keeper, b Stapleford

Augusta, 54, b Little Shelford

William Sidney Moore, grandson, 6, b Stapleford

Tags

  • Public House

Projects

  • Stapleford

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Stapleford

Cross Keys, Northside, Whittlesey

Golden Ball Inn, Boxworth

Rose and Crown, Thorney

Middlefield, Haverhill Road, Stapleford

Dernford (Durnford) Mill House

31 Mingle Lane, Stapleford

36, Sunnyside / 38, Kingsland, Mingle Lane, Stapleford

Sunnyside, 1, and Vine Cottage, 2, Hammonds Road, Sawston

Galewood, Pinewood, The Towers, Hinton Way, Stapleford

The Poplars, Bury End

2 & 4 Church Street, Stapleford

Trees Hill, Stapleford

The Grove, Sawston Road, Stapleford