Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
19 & 21 Madras Road

19 Madras Road

History of 19 Madras Road

The earliest date found relating to the development of Madras Road is June 1883. It concerns the will of John Searle, miller of Great Chesterford, vis-à-vis the title to the plot of land upon which it is taken that No. 19 was subsequently built. This title had been passed to him by Olive Cowell-Martin, who may have been the original purchaser.

Plot No. 19 was subsequently subject to a conveyance between John Searle Junior and Frederick Parker in December 1889. It can be assumed that John Searle Junior was the inheritor of miller John Searle’s Madras Road estate – especially as the County Archives records show that No. 19 (built in April 1903) was sold for £45 by Matilda Searle to John Tofts Waldock, corn merchant of Lyndewode Road. (See Madras Road report)

Nos 17 & 19: application in July 1903 to erect two cottages, submitted by John L. Waldock, of 8 Lyndewode Road, acting on his own behalf.

17 & 19 Madras Road, building plans

………

1935:

Charles Fiske, acting driver LNER

……….

1939:

In March 1939, it was reported that train diver Charles Fisk (Fiske) of No. 19 was involved in the Hatfield Crash, in which the Cambridge to King’s Cross train was hit by another resulting in the death of Annie Odell of Sandy (Cambridge Daily News).

………

1951:

Frederick Lilly Jr

………..

1962:

Frederick John Lilley

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.