Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

5 Madras Road

History of 5 Madras Road

No. 5: in April 1902 there was an application by A. Marriott, 47 Malta Road, on behalf of Mr. J. Creek, of Great Eastern Street, and Peter Creek lived there up to c. 1910/11. Alexander Marriott was also responsible for No. 15, in July 1904, No. 21 in October 1898, and No. 35 in December 1911 (assuming it was by the same A. Marriott, having moved to 342 Mill Road).

…………….

1905:

Peter Creek

……………

1935:

S Harding, railway fireman

…………….

1951:

Sidney Harding

……………

1952:

In 1952 it was reported in the Liverpool Echo that Fred Harding, of No. 5, drove the Britannia (1st of new class of Express class train) from King’s Lynn (Sandringham) to London at 35 mph with body of the late George VI.

……………..

1962:

Sidney Harding

Sidney Harding, first recorded as railway fireman in 1931 and last in 1965/66 (= 35+ years), having replaced Charles Edward Brookes who was first recorded in 1912 as “outside porter” and subsequently as “PC 80”.

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.