Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • East Road
  • Back Forward
An advertisement document for F. H. Fry Service Scale Works featuring illustrations of various weighing machines and scales.

1936, Blue Book

164 – 167 East Road

History of 164-167 East Road

1913

(164) Necton House
James Newton

(165)
H J Cole, house decorator

(166)
F Peak, wholesale confectioner

(167)
Miss Sophia Wighton, harness maker
Walter Ruse, manager


1937

(167)
Archie Wilfred Tiplady, draper

Brick facade of commercial premises with signs for S.A. Rolfe offices, a wholesale tobacconist, and the Nosegay public house.

167 East Road, Tiplady (on left) (date unknown)


1962
(164-167) Eastern Electricity


1972 Marcade Indoor Market

Mary Burgess says in “East Road 1950 to Now”:

The Marcade was an indoor market, set up in 1972 by Carl Beaumont Owens and Bertie Smith in the former Easter Electricity showrooms. They opened with capacity for 100 lock-up stalls, including women’s clothing, pottery and cosmetics. One stall was set aside for charity use.

Fire gutted the building in 1975 and it was three years before it reopened as Beaumonts.


1978 Beaumont’s Exhibition Leisure & Shopping Centre

Black and white shop front named Beaumont's with a clock, two large windows, and a skeleton model displayed in the right window.

Beaumont’s, 164-167 East Road, 1980s, by Roy Hammans (the-golden-fleece.co.uk)


1986 Abbeygate House

The building was redeveloped again as part of The Grafton Centre works and reopened in 1986 as a three storey office block, Abbeygate House.


1996-2009 Chili’s Restaurant

Chili’s, a large and popular Tex-Mex style restaurant chain, opened on the ground floor of Abbeygate House in 1996 until the company went out of business in 2009.


2012-2023 British Heart Foundation Charity Shop


2025 demolished

Abbeygate House was demolished in August 2025 as part of the Grafton Centre Regeneration 

 

Tags

  • Roy Hammans

Projects

  • East Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

East Road

46 – 60 Fitzroy Street, Cambridge

180 / 181 East Road, Cambridge

75 Burleigh Street, The Foresters

Arena Transport House, East Road

55 East Road, Cambridge

64 East Road, Cambridge

50 – 55 East Road, Cambridge

121 East Road, Cambridge

193 East Road, Cambridge

152 East Road, Cambridge

Zion Baptist Chapel, East Road, Cambridge

video

East Road

111 East Road, Cambridge