Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • The Kite
  • /
  • East Road
  • Back Forward
A two-story brick building on a street corner with an arched window, a poster reading Massive Support for Harp, and a car.

The Working Men’s Club, East Road, 1974 (MoC565/74)

The Working Men’s Club and Institute, Picture Palace, East Road, Cambridge

History of the Working Men's Club and Institute

1863 Mr and Miss Hopkin were the inspiration behind the club. In 1863 they started to collect subscriptions and issued a circular setting out plans “to erect a small Workmen’s Hall where members would be provided with coffee, books, newspapers and any quiet and proper amusement. Accommodation will be afforded for lectures, reading classes and singing classes.” (Down Your Street, 1984, p.117.)

1910 04 29

Frederick Hawkins, proprietor of the Picture Palace, Workman’s Hall, Fitzroy Street, appeared in court under the Gaming Act. He had distributed numbered handbills and given half-a-crown to the person whose number he showed on the screen. On Saturday night there were other prizes of a silver-plated teapot, a silver-plated cruet and six teaspoons in a case. Hawkins said he had done it to test whether advertising by handbills was any good. But it was a breach of the law and he was given a nominal fine. 10 04 29a

Credit: Mike Petty, Fitzroy Street Cambridge Scrapbook 1897 to 1990.

28 July 1911
A slight outbreak of fire occurred at the Picture Palace, East Road. The heat during the day had been intense and the lantern operator, Harry Pink, became a little faint and accidentally knocked a small piece of film on to the lantern, the heat igniting it. The film flared up and Pink quickly turned off the light, pulled down the safety shutters of the box, which is a fire-proof structure, and jumped out. The film soon burnt out and the audience, consisting of 37 children and three adults, walked out without any panic
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 11 07 28d.

26 July 1912
Mr Lloyd ex-manager, pianist and vocalist of the East Road Picture Palace told the court that Mr Hawkins had informed him he would close it for a month but that he should move to a new hall in Herne Bay. But he did not give notice or fill in the month as promised. Mr Hawkins, the proprietor of this and other halls in Cambridge, said he had tried to find Lloyd work and he’d be pleased for him to open at the Picture Palace again on August Bank Holiday Monday. Lloyd was a very able and competent man and it was astonishing he should cut his throat in this way. The case was dismissed.
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge East Road Scrapbook 1897 to 1990, reference 12 07 26n.

1913

The Working Men’s Club and Institute, Herbert H Frohock, custodian

A red-brick building with arched windows stands on a street corner, with cars parked and driving nearby under a cloudy sky.

Cambridge Working Men’s Club c.1960s

A Victorian brick building with a large arched window stands on a street corner, next to a black fence and advertising boards.

The Working Men’s Club, East Road, 1974 (MoC606/74)

Fitzroy Street leads off to the left. Beyond the Club buildings have been demolished to widen the approach road to the roundabout.

A two-story brick building with arched windows on a street corner, featuring two large advertising posters on its exterior.

Working Men’s Institute, East Road (MoC17.92.70)

A corner view of a two-storey brick building named Barbrookes, with a large portrait poster displayed on an adjacent wall.

Working Men’s Club East Road (date unknown)

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • cinema

Projects

  • East Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

East Road
documents

7 Magdalene Street

Skating Rink, Pyrometer Factory, Picture Theatre, Rendezvous, Rex, Magrath Avenue

Doric Cinema, High Street, Newmarket

171, 172, 173, 174 East Road

63 East Road, Cambridge

17 & 18 East Road, Cambridge

29 East Road, Perseverance Cafe, Cambridge

58 East Road, Cambridge

98 East Road

94 – 95 East Road

51 East Road, Cambridge

143 East Road, Cambridge

148 East Road, Cambridge