Search by topic
Search by text
Milestone and Cambridge circa 1830
Milestone, Trumpington Road
History of Milestone, Trumpington
TRUMPINGTON ROAD 1. 942 (West Side) Milestone beside the road opposite Brookland Avenue TL 45 NE 21/311 10.5.62. II 2. The first of a series of 16 stones set up on the old road to London by William Warren in 1728 under the will of Dr William Mowse Master of Trinity Hall 1552-3. It is a rectangular stone with inset rounded head and has the arms of Trinity Hall impaling Mowse and a pointing hand. The inscription reads “1 Mile to Great Saint Maries Church Cambridge” “A D” (the date illegible but was 1728). See also the datum mark on Great St Mary’s Church. (RCHM 83).