Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Arbury Cambridge
  • /
  • Arbury Road
  • Back Forward

Manor Farm Arbury Road 1901 OS Map

Manor School, Manor Farm, Arbury Road

History of Manor Farm

The Wright family circa 1891

1891

Thomas Wright, 65, land agent valuer auctioneer farmer, b Upwell Cambs

[Thomas and Elizabeth Jane died at 113 Chesterton Road in 1898; in 1881 the family were at Sylfield House, Bateman Street ]

Elizabeth, 60, b Upwell Norfolk

Annie Hopkins, daughter, 30, b Fulbourn

Mary Jane, 29, b Fulbourn

Arthur, 27, solicitor, b Fulbourn

Emma Wiltshire, 19, servant, b Abington Piggots

Sarah Christmas, 17, housemaid, b Sutton

See Mill Road Cemetery entry

 

Alfred Clark, 56, gardener, b Fulbourn

 

Richard Brete [Brett], 30, ag.lab., b Borough Green [Actually born at Histon or Impington according to family. He was horse keeper at the farm.]

 

Edwin Smith, 26, cowman, b Swaffham Prior

 

Samuel Knight, 35, shepherd, b Burwell

 

Joseph Burton, 50, ag.lab., b Shelford

 

Edward Mansfield, 26, ag.lab., b Chesterton


1937 (Kellys)

Manor Farm House:

Lt-Col Charles R Bennett

Manor Farm Dairy:

Mrs Alice Cardinal

The Manor Nurseries:

Ernest Frederick Sale

Mr Cardinal, Manor Farm Dairy (c1940s)


From Wikipedia entry on North Cambridge Academy:

The school was built as Manor School around 1959 based on a design by the architects W. Doig and M.R. Francis and, at that time, was a flagship school in Cambridge City. The school was named after Manor Farm which was in the area and was owned by Cambridgeshire County Council, who bought the farm in 1909 from the Benson family of Chesterton hall. The Council split the farm into smallholdings, and the name of one of the smallholders, William Downham, is commemorated in a nearby road called Downham’s Lane.

1961 06 29
The Manor Secondary Schools in Arbury Road were officially opened by the Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge University. The new buildings are designed to accommodate 450 boys and 450 girls in two separate departments linked by shared dining facilities and with a single boiler house. The Boy’s Department opened in September 1959 and was shared by the girls until theirs became available in September 1960. It is the third secondary school project to be completed in Cambridge since the war 61 06 29a Credit: Mike Petty, Cambridge Arbury and King’s Hedges Scrapbook 1897 to 1990.

 

 

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • farm
  • school

Projects

  • Arbury Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Arbury Road

School, High Street, Fen Drayton

20 & 22 Church Lane, (School) Papworth Everard

The School, Burrough Green

Arbury Court

22 Arbury Road, Uplands, Cambridge

Arbury Camp Farm and St Fillans, Arbury Road

25 Arbury Road (12), Cambridge

Arbury Road Baptist Church, Cambridge

9 (5) Arbury Road, Cambridge

29 Arbury Road (14), Beatrix House, Cambridge

15 Arbury Road (7), Cambridge

24 Arbury Road, S. Kilda, Cambridge

107 Arbury Road, Cambridge