Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

5 Green Street, Stittle’s Chapel

History of 5 Green Street

Listed building

On the site of the houses numbered 5,4, and 3 stood an old Independent Chapel, dating back to 1688, generally known as the Old Green Street Meeting House, but later referred to Stittle’s Chapel, after the Rev John Stittle, who served his congregation here from 1781 until his death.

John Stittle, the Peasant Preacher: from Leaflets of Local Lore by Urbs Camboritum (Cambs Collection)

1851

Robert Ind, 55, b Chesterton

1861

Thomas Metcalfe, 55, upholsterer, b Cambridge

Ann, 35, b Hunts

Ann Elizabeth, 14, b Cambridge

Charlotte, 7, b Cambridge

Lucetta, 6, b Cambridge

Walter, 2, b Cambridge

Margret Rocket, 14, b Cambridge

Thomas M Brown, lodger, 26, b Southampton

Francis H Atkinson, lodger, 21, b Northumb


1913

Miss Harriet Osbourn, lodging house keeper


1962

T E Twinn, hairdresser


2018

Moshulu

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

License

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0