Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Barnwell / Abbey Cambridge
  • /
  • Newmarket Road
  • Back Forward
Ink drawing of a multi-gabled inn with a prominent chimney stack, featuring bay windows and a small sign on the corner wall.

The Globe Inn, Newmarket Road

529 Newmarket Road, The Globe Inn, Globe Brewery

History of The Globe Inn

1850s brewery occupied by Thomas Evans

1860s Francis Evans took over brewery

1883 brewery, 4 pubs and the Papermill House put up for sale. Part of the three storey brewery building survives.

Line drawing of a narrow, multi-story brick building with a gabled roof, several small windows, and a central doorway.

Globe Brewery, 1981


1892

Globe put up for sale

Printed 1892 auction document for The Globe Inn, Cambridge, detailing property features, sale terms, and auctioneer names.

The Globe, 1892 sale particulars

An architectural elevation drawing of a building facade with parts highlighted in pink, dated October 1892.

The Globe, 1892 sale particulars

An 1892 auction plan document detailing land and buildings at Fen Ditton, featuring two ink-drawn site maps with text labels.

The Globe, 1892 sale particulars


1901 Fen Ditton

Benjamin Warboys, 50, publican, b Gamlingay

Detailed 1901 Ordnance Survey map section showing Elfleda House, the Globe Inn, and surrounding farmland in Cambridge.

Elfleda House & The Globe, Newmarket Road 1901 OS mao,


1913

Charles D Leftley


1918

On the opposite side of the road were once famous tea gardens which even by 1921 were derelict.

This was the site for Ditton Walk’s Victory celebrations in 1918. A Sergeant Cash lent the marquee, cutlery and all things for the victory celebration.


1962

P F Melbert

The two-story Globe Inn with white rendered walls and a tiled roof stands on a street corner, with a bicycle parked outside.

The Globe, Newmarket Road (MoC201.72)


‘Memories of Abbey and East Barnwell’:The Globe pub, which had been a popular local, became a problem during the 1980s as supporters gathered there, and this inevitably led to ‘trouble’ on match days. Eventually the pub was forced to stop trading on match days, which of course, damaged their trade, and finally it closed.

See Newmarket Road

……………..

Tags

  • brewery
  • Inn
  • Listed building

Projects

  • Newmarket Road

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Newmarket Road

St Andrew, Isleham

Gazeley House, 5 Princes Street, Huntingdon

24 High Street, White Horse Inn, Reach

28 Newmarket Road

231 – 3 (167) (176) Newmarket Road, Butcher’s Arms

183 (198) Newmarket Road

152 (66) Old Manor House, Mendicity House, 154 (67), 156 (68) Newmarket Road

253 (167) Newmarket Road

Brown’s Yard, Newmarket Road – Mapping Relief

93 (225) Newmarket Road

257 (165) Newmarket Road

76 (31) Newmarket Road

68 (28 Sun Street) Newmarket Road, The Salmon