Three Tuns, Castle Street
41 (77) Castle Street, The Three Tuns
History of 41 Castle Street
1799: 3rd Feb. In Victorian Cambridge by Enid Porter, there is the tale of Elizabeth Woodcock. She had come on horseback from Impington to do her weekly shopping in Cambridge. She stopped at the Three Tuns on her way home in the late afternoon for a gin. When she left the inn it was snowing hard. She managed to ride within half a mile of her cottage but then her horse bolted.
She took shelter under a hedge and the snow piled up around her in a drift forming a sort of cave. She wasn’t rescued until 10th February despite search parties. She experienced severe frostbite to her hands and feet and died the following July.
A stone was set up to commemorate the place where she had been imprisoned by the snow but this became so defaced that a second stone was erected in a field. It was this stone which Josiah Chater referred to when he was invited by the Barrett family to join them at a party in Impington on 15th June 1849.
In the process of moving the location of this second stone at the end of the 19th century, the original stone memorial was discovered. This was given to the Cambridge Folk Museum in 1937.
1830: John Whyman (Pigot’s)
1839: John Whyman (Pigot’s)
1851: Thomas Whyman (Gardner’s)
1852: Thomas Whyman (Slaters)
1869: Thomas Whyman (Post Office)
Thomas Whyman, victualler milkman, 64, b Cambridge
Elizabeth Whyman, 59, b Cambridge
Alice Whyman, grand daughter, 9, b Cambridge
Elizabeth Whyman, grand daughter, 6, b Cambridge
1878: John Whyman (Spalding’s)
1879: John Whyman (Kellys)
1881: John Whyman (Spalding’s)
1883: John Whyman (Kellys)
1888: John Whyman (Kellys)
1892: John Whyman (Kellys)
1896: John Whyman (Kellys)
1904: Frederick Dale (Kellys)
Samuel Ford Farrant, publican, 33, b Kent
Rosina, 35, b Essex
Rita Eugenie, 3, b Essex
1913: Ye Olde Three Tuns
Samuel F Farrant (Spalding)
1916: Samuel Ford Farrant (Kellys)
1933: Samuel Ford Farrant (Kelly’s)
Pub closed in 1933