Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Bridge Street
  • Back Forward
Black and white drawing of a man in a tricorne hat and long coat holding a flintlock pistol while riding a horse over a fence.

Dick Turpin

38 Bridge Street – Griffin, Red Lion, the New Red Lion, Red Lion Yard, Cambridge

History of 38 Bridge Street

Black and white historical map showing buildings and land plots west of Bridge Street, Cambridge, with various labels.

West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century

For detailed information on this site see T E Faber ‘An Intimate History of St Clement’s Parish’, 2006.

1279 Cecily Plumb who married Walter Wyne

1283 William Pittok

1343 John Pittok / Piscator

1365 Stephen Morice junior tenant

1371; daughter Agnes Morice tenant

1374 Thomas Spore occupant

1397 John Brigham occupant

end of 15th cent: Geoffrey Fisher and wife

1556 death of John Richardson who left property to his nephew Christopher

1641-63 Thomas Sowersby inn keeper

1673-74 not listed in Victuallers’ Book

1676 John Curtis taxed for 9 hearths

1688 Christopher Green the Elder, college cook of Caius owned nos 38-41 Bridge Street. In 1688 estate temporarily split between his two children but by 1706 properties reunited and stayed in ownership of Edward Green I, cousin of Christopher. John Curtis named as holder of Griffin.

1697 Christopher Green bequeaths Griffin, now or late in occupation of Sarah Godfrey

18th cent: the Red Lion was reputed to be one of the haunts of the highwayman Dick Turpin (1706-1739)

1738 Another Christopher Green bequeathes Griffin ‘ now in occupation of …. Stanton’. Thomas Stanton licensed in 1708; Allen Stanton licensed in 1742.

1750-55 William Linsdell, for Red Lion in 1752 and 1755.

1750 In the Old Red Lion Yard Alderman Nutting carried on his business as a coal merchant and dealer in corn, deals, iron, timber and salt. he may also have kept the inn. (Vanishing Cambridge, Mike Petty)

1756 Griffin late in occupation of Thomas Whitby

1756-67 William Lindsey for Red Lion

1768-95 William Lindsey for New Red Lion

1796-1821 New Red Lion listed continuously

1795 nos 39-41 sold to Charles Finch I, ironmonger.

1803 according to T E Faber it is likely that the name of the original Red Lion in Bridge Street at no.47 was transferred to no.39.

1821 Edward Green II sold no. 38 (‘heretofore called the Griffin Inn and now and for some time past the Red Lion‘) to Richard Foster, brewer for £1,000.

1821-46 old Red Lion was revived and the designation’New red Lion’ was needed.

1822-56 New Red Lion listed contonuously


1838

The Fly coach every morning at 10am to Holborn, London. Another ran the same day and house for Cambridge.

The Defiance left for Huntingdon every day at 1.45pm

The Red Rover left Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for Colchester at 9am


1855 the ‘Red Lion or New Red Lion’ sold to St John’s by Richard Foster, son of Richard Foster, for £950.


1861 Red Lion

John W Watson, 54, publican, b Hardwick

Red Lion Yard:

(1) Thomas Amps, 51, groom, b Huntingdon

(2) George Saunders, 45, labourer, b Cambridge


A narrow, shadowy alleyway flanked by old buildings, with stacked wooden barrels and a bicycle in the foreground.

Old Red Lion Yard, Bridge Street, date unknown (photo L Cobbett)

Black and white ink drawing of a narrow, shadowed alleyway between two old timber-framed buildings with multi-pane windows.

Old Red Lion Yard by Rita Genlloud

Rita Genlloud was the author of By-Ways in Old Cambridge. She was born in Stapleford in 1896. In 1911 she was living at 95 Hills Road.

Cobbled yard with weathered brick and wooden buildings, barrels in the foreground, and a dark passageway leading to the rear.

Red Lion yard, demolished 1938

Oil painting of a courtyard in front of multi-storey timbered buildings, with several small human figures and dogs visible.

Red Lion Yard, Mary C Greene (MoC)

 

Tags

  • coach
  • Public House

Projects

  • Bridge Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Bridge Street

The Plough, 26 London Street, Godmanchester

16 High Street, Black Horse, Swavesey

227-229 (177) Brickmakers’ Arms

42 Bridge Street / The (Black) White Bull & White Bull Yard

62 Bridge Street

3 Coulson’s Passage

1 Bridge Street (1 Jesus Lane)

32a Bridge Street

66 Bridge Street

63 Bridge Street

Globe Passage & St John’s Back Lane

Blackmoor Head Yard

Clement Hostel