Bridge Street Thompson's Lane Junction circa 1900
43 Bridge Street / The (Black) White Bull
History of 43 Bridge Street
Detailed notes can be found in T E Faber, An Intimate History of St Clement’s Parish, 2006.
West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century
A chantry dedicated to St Nicholas was founded by William de Lolleworth in 1323. It was endowed with 2 messuages, 7 acres of land and 40s in rent. This endowment was augmented in 1352 and it was probably at that time that the site of the Bull (White or Black) on Bridge Street became chantry property. Part of the site was let in 1356 to Bartholemew the Chandler for him to build on.
end of 15th cent: when Robert Blackamore was chantry priest at the end of the century is was known as the ‘Bull’ or ‘Black Bull.’
When Robert Massye, chantry priest, died in 1528, he left to Dr Cliffe all the fittings at the White Bull. From this we can gather that he funded the refitting of the inn and changed the colour of its sign from black to white.
1547: inn known as White Bull was the principal asset of the united chantries of St Clement’s Church.
1553: after the suppression of the chantries, Sir Thomas Wendy was enfeoffed in the property
1611/12: Thomas Wildman alehouse keeper fined
1615: acquired by Magdalene as the White Bull
1629-39: William, later Matthew, Christian
1645-46: John Dunnage, for White Bull
1660-62: John Whiteseed
1663: leased by William Howell. maltster
1672-74: not listed as inn
1673: leased by John Howell, maltster
1674: House ‘where …. Allen widow dwelleth’, allowed ‘to be renewed again as an inn to be called the White Bull.’
1675: ‘The White Bull, Widow Allin’ presented to a Proctors’ leet in connection with eighty barrels of Mr Thompson’s beer
1682: Thomas Allen among those vouched for by William Gould
1744-64: James, later Mary, Philips, for White Bull
1770-1856: White Bull listed continuously
1786 & 1796: leased by John Purchas III
19th cent: White Bull was a public house based at no.42.