Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Bridge Street
  • Back Forward
A weathered building with a tall brick chimney, two storeys, and a cluttered yard containing rubble and a tipped wheelbarrow.

Blackamoor Head Yard, 1932 (photo W M Palmer). Alderman Nutting’s house.(Cambridgeshire Collection)

Blackmoor Head Yard – Mapping Relief

Blackmoor Head Yard - Mapping Relief

The Cambridge Charity Organisation Society was founded in 1889 and aimed to help the ‘really deserving poor’. At Cambridgeshire Archives, we have nearly 3000 applications for relief from those within Cambridge and beyond. A recent project aimed to look at the demographics of those applying; looking at the variety of occupations within the city as well as the age spread. These were plotted across the city and the data here shows the numbers of applicants per street in Cambridge whilst including information regarding their occupation and age. For access to these records or any further questions, please contact Cambridgeshire Archives on cambs.archives@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

Blackmore Head Yard, Bridge Street (also Mitre Yard)

Tags

  • charity
  • Mapping Relief
  • poverty

Projects

  • Bridge Street
  • The Cambridge Charity Organisation Society

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Bridge Street

Brookside – Mapping Relief

Cyprus Road – Mapping Relief

Suez Road – Mapping Relief

68 Bridge Street

St Clement

documents

72 Bridge Street, Stearn the photographers, Cambridge

40 Bridge Street

67 Bridge Street, Bell and Crown

74 Bridge Street

55 Bridge Street

Sussum’s Yard, Bridge Street

Master’s Lodge, St John’s College

Site of Finch / Swann Hurrell Iron Foundry