47 Bridge Street, 1937(Cambridgeshire Collection)
46 / 47 Bridge Street, (the White Swan / Red Lion)
History of 47 Bridge Street
West of Bridge Street in the Nineteenth Century
c. 1275: Nicholas Childman
1483: John Bell (I) bought land next to his tenement le Swanne.
1525: death of Simon Rankyn. In his will the house is ‘called the sign of the Swan’.
1530: Geoffrey Rankyn, Simon’s executor, let a tenement, inn and brewhouse called the White Swan [in St Clement’s]’ to Richard Hardwicke.
1536: property sold to Richard Harwicke for £60.
1545: left to his daughter Lucy and her uncle, Thomas Hardwicke of Yorkshire let it in 1559 to John Snoden.
1564: sold to William Hodson brewer in 1564.
1565: sold to Thomas Paris.
1571: sold by Paris and Hodson for £150 to Thomas Hodilowe and his wife Joan.
1573: Hodilowes sold it to St John’s. The college seems to have then let the inn but kept the brewhouse under its own management until 1609.
1573: inn in tenure of William Munnes and John Sawood. rent £4 10s p.a.
c. 1597: inn leased by Thomas Smith, the University Megistrary.
1606: James Tabor, successor University Registrary, took over lease of inn.
1606-77: lived in by Tabors; not in Lent Book and no longer an inn
1609: brewhouse leased to Anne Cropley
1614: brewhouse leased to Robert Lukin.
1616: brewhouse leased to Thomas Jackson, tailor.
1632: Tabor granted a new lease to inn.
1636: Tabor renting inn and brewhouse.
1672-74: not listed in Victuallers’ Book
1707/8: Nicholas Tabor II becomes leaseholder. Swan is renamed Red Lion about this time.
1752-67: Not listed in Victuallers’ Book
1768-1856: Old Red Lion listed continuously
1782: earliest reference to Red Lion but there was a Swan on Quayside by 1723.
1783: William Coulson, publican (records of the Parish of St Clement)
occupied by Thomas Nutting
1803: estate contained ‘Red Lion Public House’, granaries, two messuages, a coal yard with chambers over it, and stables which were sub-let.
Renamed ‘Old Red LIon’ and remained in business under that name until c. 1908.
1830: Samuel Bouttell (Pigot’s)
1839: William Watts (Pigot’s)
1851: William Watts (Gardner’s)
1852: William Watts (Slaters)
Alice Watts, publican, widow, 63, b Cambridge
Emma Evans, servant, 16, b Cambridge
James Phillips, lodger, tobacconist, 22, b Grantchester
1867: John Stokes (Mathieson’s)
1869: John Stokes (Post Office Directory)
Walter Houston, publican, 35, b Scotland
Elizabeth E Houston, 37, b London
James A Carrick, lodger, BA Cambridge Univ, 41, b Liverpool
Josiah Munsey, lodger, cricketer, 35, b Cambridge
1878: Henry Warrington, publican (Spalding’s)
1879: J P Warrington, (Post Office Directory)
James P Warrington, college servant & publican, 38, b Cambridge
Elizabeth Warrington, 33, b Cambridge
Harry Warrington, 9, b Cambridge
Ellen M Warrington, 8, b Cambridge
Percy J Warrington, 4, b Cambridge
Frank W Warrington, 2, b Cambridge
Gertrude E Warrington, 8 month, b Cambridge
Sarah Starling, servant, 16, b Oldham
1888: J P Warrington (Kellys Directory)
George Philip Philo, 46, furniture designer and cabinet maker also pattern maker, b Cambridge
Jessie, 38, b Cambridge
Margaret, 14, b Cambridge
Philip John, 13, b Cambridge
George Gergus Mark, 8, b Cambridge
Owen, 6, b Cambridge
Hilda, 5, b Cambridge
Jessie Ferguson, 3, b Cambridge
Mabel Dellar, 25, housemaid, b Oakington
Rachel Smith, 19, housemaid, b Cambridge
G P Philo, furniture maker and designer
(47) Biggs the florist