Search by topic
Search by text
Masonic Hall, Corn Exchange Street
History of the Masonic Hall, Corn Exchange Street
The purchase of this site for a hall for the University Freemason’s lodge was approved in 1883 and the foundation stone laid in 1892. The hall was not only used by the Isaac Newton University lodge, but also by the Alma Mater lodge which had moved to Cambridge circa 1885.
More about the Isaac Newton University masonic lodge can be found here:
During WWI the hall was taken over by the military and not returned to civilian use until 1920. In 1939 the military again requisitioned the hall although freemasons were allowed to meet there six times a year.
In the 1960s the Masonic Hall was a popular venue for private parties. It was also used for music concerts and in 1964/5 the group Those Without, including Syd Barrett (later Pink Floyd), performed there. For more information on this period visit the website:
In 1910 the doctor Harold Delf Gillies was initiated into the Alma Mater lodge. A New Zealander, he was an otolaryngologist who is widely considered the father of modern plastic surgery.