Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • Downing Street
  • Back Forward
Tinted postcard showing the stone facade of the Medical School and Humphry Museum with a large, octagonal corner tower.

New Medical School and Humphrey Museum Downing Street

New Medical School and Humphry Museum, Downing Street

History of New Medical School and Humphrey Museum

1832

A historic brick building with a central dome and angular walls stands on a street corner, captured in a monochrome print.

Dissecting Room of the Anatomy School built 1832 demolished 1891, c.1890

The Dissecting Room of the Medical School was built by Charles Humfrey in 1832 …… the Lantern on top lit the table on which the lecturer demonstrated his dissection. …. In 1834 there was a riot outside it after a body snatcher was supposedly caught re-handed. After the riot, the only ground floor window was barred. Tp the right is the corner of the Corn Exchange.


1900

The 1832 Dissecting Room was replaced by a better designed and better looking building which still stands.

Tinted postcard showing the stone facade of the Medical School and Humphry Museum with a large, octagonal corner tower.

New Medical School and Humphrey Museum Downing Street


Street view of Downing Street featuring ornate stone buildings, a corner museum structure, and a low building for cyclists.

Downing Street: Humphry Museum and University Bicycle Club

Downing Street with stone buildings featuring large windows and a central domed structure, and people walking or cycling.

Downing Street c.1905A detailed description of the Cambridge Medical School building which was designed in 1899 can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Medical_School_building

The inscription on the window facing Tennis Court Road is described in Cambridge Inscriptions Explained by Nancy Gregory (2006).

A stone oriel window on a rusticated masonry wall with a curved decorative pediment featuring carved scrollwork above it.

Medical School inscription, Downing Street

DANS LES CHAMPS DE L’OBSERVATION LE HASARD NE FAVORISE QUE LES ESPRITS PRÉPARÉS

Where observation is concerned, chance favours only the prepared mind

These are words of Louis Pasteur and the architect was Edward Prior, who believed that inscriptions made buildings more intelligible to the passer-by. The inscription was the very first professional assignment of Eric Gill.


1913 Anatomical Museum etc

John Chaplin, porter


Modern brick laboratory buildings with rows of windows face a paved parking lot containing a parked car and low stone walls.

Biology Labs from car park (MoC2/89/70)

A black and white street scene shows a curved stone building corner beside a multi-story brick block and a parked car.

Humphry library (MoC439/74)

 

Tags

  • Cambridge University

Projects

  • Downing Street

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

Downing Street

Centre for Mathematical Sciences

Town and Gown: The Struggle and Story in Cambridge

Cambridge University Botanic Garden

New Museums Site

Squire Law School and Library, Downing Sreet

15 Downing Street

5 Downing Street

St Columba Presbyterian Church

13 Downing Street

6 Downing Street

Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology

Austin / Augustinian Friary

Sedgwick Museum of Earth Science