Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • King's Parade
  • Back Forward

Dockrill / Robin’s coffee house

History of Dockrill's Coffee House

Dockrill’s or Robin’s was one of nine licensed coffee houses at the heigh-day of that establishment in 1760.

Coffee Houses of Cambridge

For more detailed information about coffee houses in Cambridge see the excavation report of the Cambridge Archaeological Unit:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00794236.2017.1363146

Dockrill’s establishment was celebrated by an anonymous writer in his poem, A Day in Vacation at College, 1751:

A page of printed 18th-century text with line numbers 190 to 205, featuring highlighted words including Coffee-House and Dockrill.

Extract from A Day in Vacation at College, Anon 1751

Projects

  • King's Parade

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

King's Parade

Senate House / The Devil’s Tavern, Cambridge

11 King’s Parade

King’s Parade

15 – 16 King’s Parade

17 King’s Parade

documents

9 King’s Parade, (Trumpington Street),The Still and Sugar Loaf

12 King’s Parade

19 King’s Parade

Richardson Candles

God’s House