Search by topic
Search by text
History of God's House
This was the original foundation of what was to become Christ’s College.
There is an explanation on the Christ’s College web site:
God’s House was founded in 1437 by William Byngham, priest of St John Zachary in London, in order to train school teachers. As it stood on what was to be the site of King’s College chapel the site was sold and it had to be moved when building work started there. In 1448 the modern site of Christ’s College was adopted and in 1505, after the endowment by Lady Margaret Beaufort, the name Christ’s College was adopted.