23 – 24 Market Street
History of 23 - 24 Market Street
Josiah Chater was good friends with the Macintosh family. William Macintosh began trading in 1816 as a coppersmith at 23 Market Street.
Alexander Macintosh joined his father and added ironmongery to the business.
Josiah Chater invited to dinner on 27th September by Mr Ingle, a currier:
‘We had a good lunch of a wonderful piece of beef which, when whole weighed 80lb 9oz, the like of which they make it a rule to have every Stirbitch fair.’
(24) Mary Ann Ingle, 57, fund holder, b Bottisham
John, 34, carrier, b Cambridge
Mary Ann, 32, b Cambridge
Elizabeth, 28, b Cambridge
Thedora, 26, b Cambridge
Jemima, 22, b Cambridge
Charles, 20, carrier
Mary Lawrence, 22, servant, b Cambs
(23) William MacIntosh, 54, master brazier, b Cambridge
Mary, 57, b Cambridge
Alexander, 23, ironmonger, b Cambridge
Ruben Scott, apprentice, brazier, b b Ely
Harriet Kidman, 15, servant, b Teversham
Alexander Macintosh bought the ironmongery business of Edward Beales and moved to 14 Market Hill.
Nat West Bank