Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Victoria Brewery 1982

Victoria Brewery, Napier Street / Albert Street

History of the Victoria Brewery

The owner of the Victoria Brewery was William Henry Apthorpe, born in 1808. He became an alderman in 1858.

The brewery was important in the 1840s and 50s. It supplied 12 barrels of beer for the Coronation Dinner on Parker’s Piece in 1838. One claim is that Apthorpe was the first in the area to supply bottled ┬ápale ales. He retired from brewing c. 1875. The pubs which it controlled were passed to his son, also William Henry Apthorpe who owned the Albion Brewery in Coronation Street.

Richard Holmes took over the brewery in 1875, the, in 1879, Edward Pryor. In 1881 George Gibson took over until the premises were sold to the Star Brewery in 1891.

Star Brewery used the premises as a laboratory and mineral water works, then as a bottle store.

1911:

Star Brewery Malting House

…………….

Mushroom growing

…………..

Furniture restorers and antique shop

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.