Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • St Andrew's Hill
  • Back Forward
A row of brick houses with pitched roofs and dormer windows, featuring a fence, a pillar box, and a parked car on the street.

St Andrew’s Hill (MoC)

9-10 St Andrew’s Hill

History of 9 & 10 St Andrew's Hill

1959 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Survey of Cambridge:

Houses, nos. 9 and 10, on the corner of Tibb’s Row and extending towards Corn Exchange Street …. the plan suggests a 16th-century origin. the earliest of the additions to the W is of c. 1700. The wing, probably once a separate building, is of the 17th century. The whole was remodelled and the main range refronted early in the 19th century, probably by Charles Humfrey and in 1818 when the ownership of the land on which two porches were being built was in dispute. Humfrey evidently established his right, for the porches survive and the space between them is enclosed by railings.

1861 Census

(9) Arthur C Barrett, 44, private tutor, b Suffolk
(10) Harriett A D Thorn, 40, school mistress, b Southend Essex

1913 Census

(9) Papworth and French solicitors

Major Oliver Papworth, councillor of the Borough

A 1928 Land Registry application document for a search regarding Alfred Henry John Brown of The Pike and Eel Inn, Chesterton.

Pike and Eel 1928 papers

A handwritten letter dated 27 October 1928 from Papworth and French solicitors on St. Andrew’s Hill, Cambridge.

Pike and Eel 1928

A document dated 1928 with handwritten details of costs for legal work, including a red postage stamp affixed at the bottom.

Pike and Eel 1928

(9) Frederic W French, secretary Victoria Friendly Societies’ Asylum
Percy Albert French

(10) Mrs Elizabeth Scott

1918

(10) Mrs Elizabeth Starr Scott was reported to have died November 1918 aged 88.

1937

Truman and Knightly Ltd, scholastic agents

Two vintage cars sit on a narrow street bordered by historic brick buildings with chimneys and tiled roofs in Cambridge.

St Andrew’s Hill, 1937 (photo J Baldwin)

1960

Brick buildings with tiled roofs and dormer windows overlook a parking lot filled with mid-twentieth-century cars.

St Andrew’s Hill, 1960 (MoC33/60)

A row of brick houses with pitched roofs and dormer windows, featuring a fence, a pillar box, and a parked car on the street.

St Andrew’s Hill (MoC)

Two brick houses with tiled roofs and dormer windows, separated from the street by iron railings, seen in black and white.

9 & 10 St Andrew’s Hill, 1960, demolished to create car park (MoC255/70)

A black-and-white ink drawing shows two adjacent period buildings with sash windows, dormer roofs, and metal railings.

The North Side of St Andrew’s Hill: drawing by Slim Smith from The Lion Yard (1974)

The Lion Yard by Henry Bosanquet (1974) notes the following on the above illustration:

This 18th century terrace (two listed buildings) was one of the finest examples of its kind in Cambridge. It was the home of Humfrey, carpenter to King’s College in the 1760s. Cambridge’s greatest Regency architect, Charles Humfrey,  was born here. He added the door to the left to ‘modernize’ his father’s house. After 1803 it looked down the fine avenue of lime trees, planted by Downing College as a grand entrance. This avenue was destroyed after 1900, when Downing College’s grounds were sold to the University for lecture rooms, after a senior don of the college had run off with college funds.

Projects

  • St Andrew's Hill

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Andrew's Hill

St Andrew’s Hill (Hog Hill) (Beast Market), Old Corn Exchange

St Andrew’s Hill – Mapping Relief

7 St Andrew’s Hill

2 St Andrew’s Hill (The Bun Shop), Cambridge

8 St Andrew’s Hill / 7 St Tibb’s Row (St Andrew’s the Great Workhouse)

Corn Exchange Court (St Andrew’s Hill)