Skip to content
  • home
  • map
  • search
Capturing Cambridge
  • search
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Home
  • /
  • Projects
  • /
  • Centre Cambridge
  • /
  • St Andrew's Hill
  • Back Forward
The ornate tiled roof of the Bun Shop features two dormer windows decorated with small flags and a central stone chimney.

The Bun Shop, St Andrew’s Hill, Cambridge (Cambs Collection)

2 St Andrew’s Hill (The Bun Shop), Cambridge

History of the Bun Shop

The Bun Shop saloon and retail bars  was built in 1902 as ‘Vaults’ to serve the labourers on the Downing Site where work started that year.

It was numbered 1 or 2 St Andrew’s Hill at different times as Whitmore’s was number 1, but was also 13 Downing Street.

3 January 1913
Whitmore & co, wine merchants in liquidation, based in Downing Street – good stock of vintage wine, catered at Alexandra Palace, owned Bun Shop, Queens Arms
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge DOWNING STREET & PEMBROKE STREET Scrapbook, reference 1913 01 03.

Black and white view of St Andrew's Hill showing a row of brick buildings, parked cars, and a picket gate in the foreground.

St Andrew’s Hill: Whitmore & Co and The Bun Shop

A black and white photograph showing a brick building with arched windows next to a Wine and Spirit Merchants with a car.

1 St Andrew’s Hill, (MoC256/70)

A street scene featuring a multi-story brick building and a single-story wine and spirit merchant with arched windows.

1 St Andrew’s Hill (MoC14/92/70)

The exterior of The Bun Shop with a small car parked in front and a bicycle leaning against the ornate, arched building.

The Bun Shop, 1971 (Peter Soar)

25 March 1975
Cambridge pubs range from grimy to gracious according to a drinker’s guide just published by a group of undergraduates. Grime, according to the guide, is synonymous with the Locomotive pub in Mill Road, and grace is one of the virtues of the Plough Inn at Fen Ditton. Praise is lavished on the “thematic scheme” of the Galleon bar in the Burleigh Arms, Newmarket Road. The Free Press has “exceptional character” and the Baker’s Arms, East Road, is called a “refreshing surprise”. The Bun Shop, Downing Street is said to be “something of a Cambridge institution and well worth a visit”
Credit: Mike Petty Archive, Cambridge DOWNING STREET & PEMBROKE STREET Scrapbook, reference 1975 03 25.

 

 

Sources

  • Mike Petty Archive

Tags

  • Peter Soar
  • Public House

Projects

  • St Andrew's Hill

Share this article

Share onFacebook Share onBluesky

Contribute

Do you have any information about the people or places in this article? If so, then please let us know using the Contact page or by emailing capturingcambridge@museumofcambridge.org.uk.

Licence

This work is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 not including content on external links as indicated byexternal link.

St Andrew's Hill

The Vine, London Street, Whittlesey

The Coach and Horses, 54 Ermine Street, Huntingdon

Throckenholt, Parson Drove

Corn Exchange Court (St Andrew’s Hill)

8 St Andrew’s Hill / 7 St Tibb’s Row (St Andrew’s the Great Workhouse)

9-10 St Andrew’s Hill

St Andrew’s Hill – Mapping Relief

St Andrew’s Hill (Hog Hill) (Beast Market), Old Corn Exchange

7 St Andrew’s Hill